Monday, June 07, 2010

Banana Cake


I luv cakes, I hate bananas and when I first heard banana cake, I was reluctant to try it...images of yellow banana in a cake just did not seem tasty to me ....Until my first bite of banana cake here in the US. Today my easiest cake is the banana cake and when I told my sister to try making banana cake...she thought the same thing about the cake ..."will it be nice?" bananas and cake?"
I got off the phone just now to post this pronto coz after hearing me out, my darling chechy and niece are gonna try this and asked me to post it ... So here's my tried and tested Banana cake recipe for you chech & molu...

Ingredients
  • 3 overripe yellow banana
  • 2 cups Maida or Cake flour
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter - room temperature( not melted)
  • 2 large Eggs
  • 1tsp- Cardamom powder,
  • a pinch of Cinnamon powder, Nutmeg powder
  • 1/2 cup of chopped nuts- (almonds and walnuts mix i use.)

Method
  1. Mash all the bananas, its ok to have some tiney lumps - keep aside.
  2. Sift all the dry powders together and keep in a bowl
  3. Cream butter and sugar till fluffy with a electric beater
  4. Adding 1 egg at a time, beat well and then add the mashed banana
  5. With a whisk, just stir in, or mix the banana mash (do not overbeat ) and then add the sifted flour.
  6. Mix in everything getntly - it will look a little lumpy - just gently mix in / fold it.
  7. Meanwhile start the oven to preheat it to 180 degree C (350 degree F). Once this is done you can -
  8. Add the chopped nuts and again fold it into the batter.. ensure that you dont overmix the whole batter.
  9. Grease a Cake tin ( 9 x3x 5) or any size that will have the batter come up till half way. (I notice that if the cake batter is filled in more than halfway up the cake tin, the cake doesnt have enough space to rise while baking)
  10. Bake in Preheated oven at 180 degree C (350 degree F) for 1 hour.
  11. Check for doneness after one hour - Insert a clean toothpick in the center of the cake, and if it comes out clean, the cake is done.
Take off from oven and cool the cake before you turn it over or eat it. Enjoy!

No comments: